Application to Transfer VA Education Benefits

This procedure allows spouses (including former and surviving spouses), children, and stepchildren of a service member who has received approval from the Department of Defense to transfer his or her benefits.

How The Benefit Bank Can Help

You can use this section of The Benefit Bank to help you complete an application to claim the education benefits a service member has transferred to you (as a spouse or dependent child/stepchild).

What you Need to Apply

When applying for a program on the Application for VA Education Benefits, you should have the following:

  • Social Security Number of applicant and veteran
  • Service member's branch of service
  • Education information, including financial aid award letters and programs you are interested in attending
  • Direct deposit banking information

Documents to Print and Take Home